Sunday, October 16, 2005

Half-Rice, Half-Cracker: A Review of Commander-in-Chief

Last night, I perused ABC's Commander-in-Chief for the first time. I wanted to see if a female President could be believeable.

DEA agents are murdered in a South American country known to produce cocaine. Madam President Geena Davis accuses General Strongarm of murder. President Davis directs the Attorney General for legal options. Without legal options, she calls in the military. Madam President chooses a military strike on the cocaine factories and calls for an in-country coup.

The Madam President part was somewhat convincing. The story line was way too contrived for my jaded political tastes. The war on drugs is a sham. Without a more progressive way to reduce the demand beyond just throwing addicts in prison, killing the supply side only enriches the drug lords.

Anyways, enough of my radical politics. There was one Asian speaking role. No Asian extras in the background. Darn. There goes my pay day.

The Asian speaking role goes to Laura, played by Hiro Ambrosino. She has dialogue with Madam President's daughter:

Laura: Hello, Pumpkin. What brings you here?
Amy: I want to show Regal where my mommy works. Could I see her?
Laura: Well, I don't know. Do you have an appointment.


A very minor role. But, probably not a bad pay day, better than the extras at $50 per day.

Surely, Madam President Geena Davis must have heard of General Eric Shinseki, the maverick General who testified in Congress about troop numbers needed to win the peace in Iraq. What did Shinseki get for his now-correct-in-hindsight assessments?

The good General recieved an early retirement, courtesy of Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense. See ya later, alligator. Wouldn't wanna be ya. Don't call us. We'll call you. Maybe. NOT!

Be that as it may, I still think civilian control of the military is a good thing. Enough of politics, already!

Here's the contact address for Geena Davis, who is also an executive producer. Sweet. You can also go to ABC.com to sound off. Which is where I am going now.

Geena Davis
c/o Creative Artists Agency
9830 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90212-1825